Olsen, Bob Pettee, Tim Fortune, Betsy Dirnberger, Sandy Hildreth,
Mark Kurtz, David Woodward
Election of officers (for the purpose of opening a “club”
checking account at Tri-Lakes Credit Union)
Nominations for officers:
Mark Kurtz, president
Georgeanne Gaffney, vice-president
Sandy Hildreth, secretary
Susan Olsen, treasurer
Voting was unanimous.
Mission statement – a collaboration of artists promoting the arts in
the Saranac Lake area
Tim: we need to have some consistent Gallery hours..
Adk Explorer Ad
Who will pay for Explorer ad? (next meeting)
- Betsy – ad has to have a purpose; to further art as a
business in SL; full page ad in annual Outings Guide; (1/2 price of
normal 6 time full page ad); will cap ad fee at $50.
- Tim – what should our ad be?
- Betsy – focus on an event? Be an image ad? Define who we
are in such a way that we entice people to want to come to SL art to
- Mark – good idea to let someone else design the ad.
- Tim – Art Works in Saranac Lake; people love small, unique
downtown (small photo of community) – 7 6 galleries, 1 theatre, 3
performance spaces, numerous independent artists, artwalk images
- - Galleries: Adirondack Artists’ Guild, Georgeanne Gaffney
Studio & Gallery, Small Forune Studio, Mark Kurtz Photography,
Gallery 7444, BluSeed Studios, plus lots of independent artists that
work out of their homes.
- - Theater: Pendragon
- - Borealis Color
- - Performance Spaces: Town Hall, Waterhole, BluSeed,
Riverside Park, Berkeley Green
- David – should ad promote SL as a destination for the arts?
– come to get healed
- Betsy – “we’ve got to go to SL” – can’t just be pretty –
needs to get people to want to do something.
- Susan – use verbs – come to SL, see, make, learn, etc.
- Betsy – coop ads are dangerous – a little bit of everything
doesn’t always get the message across. Suggests we need to decide what
the major thrust should be and how each of us want to be represented.
- Tim – need more specifics
- Betsy – does everyone need an image – or can it be artworks
as a whole – 1 or 2 images
- David – we don’t’ need a picture of the village – we need
some art – it’s more than a just a town, it’s a whole art community
- Susan – a picture of SL may not be the single image we
want; but a stack of little images may not either. We need an image
that will grab attention
- Betsy – people spend about 3 seconds looking at a page.
Strong image – focus on events.
- David asked us all what we’d want the ad to communicate:
- Bob – would like people to know that Pendragon is part of
- Susan – tickle people’s ideas about SL being an “art
place” – opportunities for art – we’re a full service art community
- Mark – come through his door; ArtWalks could be the focus
- - Sandy (Guild) – we have a huge amount of fantastic
locally produced art here
- Get our art into the new Visitor’s Center and have it be
part of the ArtWalk
- - Mark – artwalks, studio tour – both events where
public can participate
- Betsy – it can’t be everything for everyone – needs a focus
- Tim explained the concept of the artwalks - to bring art to
the community, breaking down the gallery walls, involving the community
- David – public can participate in an art experience –
family oriented art experience – visual, literary, performing
- Betsy – say it all in 5-6 words – (Sandy: art, music,
community, mountains, lakes?)
- Tim – do we want greater inclusion? Mark Coleman, 2 Horse
Trade, (in previous group ad) – to help pay for ad?
- Tim – leave ad up to Explorer; have some info about what is
- Deadline is April 20 – will be out June 1
- Provide logo – Sandy will contact Todd about font/color
(Tim likes black and white)
Planning for Adk Living Show – Tim & Georgeanne will meet next
Saturday 3pm at Georgeanne’s studio
Payment for Adk Living Show
- Booth – make it look like an Adirondack room, oriental rug,
etc., fabric on walls, piece of furniture – stood out from other
booths; Mark – this is a retail show – we also want to have both high
and low priced items for sale
- Sandy – main subheading for show is
- Items to give out; ADK Life article; Bob will donate a
couple hundred copies.
- Banner/sign – logo/font – Susan – we should each offer up
- Sandy – talk to Todd about graphic –font, colors, etc.
- Who will be there & when - David , whole weekend,
Sandy, whole weekend, Mark – drive back and forth
- Who will deliver stuff
ArtWorks web site – Todd said he’d get started on it right away. Need
preliminary site – can always redesign/upgrade later.
Adirondack Plein Air Festival - August 22-23
- possible local artist workshops Sat. am
- contact local deli’s to offer lunch packages
- contact Kathy Steinbruock, Gina Dumond – art attack