Kurtz, Susan Olsen, Georgeanne Gaffney, Todd Smith, Sandy Hildreth
How important are the Arts to the Economy & how broadly can the
Arts be defined?
- Is a large full page ad more effective than smaller
- Could we advertise as a group in the Saranac Lake Visitor’s
Guide and combine it with some text (Susan volunteered to begin writing
- Could the Studio Tour/Artists’ Guide be included in the
Visitor’s Guide as an insert?
- Could we get some $$ support from Jim McKenna and Essex Co.?
- We need someone to actively represent BluSeed – maybe Larry
Poole (Todd will look into this).
What can/should we do?
- Visual Arts & Crafts, Music & Performing Arts,
Literature, healing arts, culinary arts, etc.
- Todd described concentric circles with Artists/Performers
being in the center and then expanding out to art galleries, art supply
stores, Pendragon, then other business that display art (like the Blue
Moon), and then other places that have creative connections – like the
healing arts and culinary arts.
- See: Northern Forest Sustainable Economy Initiative:
Creative Economy Sector Analysis (pdf document)
- Organize support for a group ad(s)
- We (ArtWorks) need to be proactive – not wait for Chamber
or Essex Co. to decide to promote the arts. We need to develop a
presentation that will show them what our needs are, what we contribute
to the community, and how their promotion of the arts could benefit the
- Sandy was asked to be on the Chamber’s Tourism &
Marketing Committee, initially to help guide them with the cover art
- Develop a more professional “call for artists” and
process for conducting the competition
- Make it a “themed” competition, i.e., work submitted for
2009 needs to reflect some aspect of the history of Saranac Lake
- Have a small entry fee ($10?) and award a prize to the
winner – keep it very local (live within 20 mi. of Saranac Lake?)
- Have a professional artist on the team that judges and
selects work for the cover.
- Make sure the Visitor’s Guide provides balanced coverage
of the important “themes” of Saranac Lake and not focus on 1 each year.
- <>Sandy was also invited to take Carol Vossler’s
the Chamber’s Board of Directors, as a representative of the arts in
- <>Ask the Board if ArtWorks could make a
about the importance of the arts in the community and our ideas about
advertising and promoting the arts.
- Find out where the Visitor’s Guides are being distributed
- Ask the Chamber how they plan to take advantage of the
great article in Adirondack Life?
- Find out about the proposed web site redesign for the
Chamber – it needs to be much more “inviting” and of course include the
- Web marketing needs to be taken advantage of.