Meetings - Feb
2012, 7 pm
|Attending: Mark Kurtz, Diane
Leifheit, Edith Urban, Dan Hausner, Rachel Lamb, Cherie Sayles, Meg
Bernstein, Todd Smith, Cris Winters, Burdette Parks, Sandy Hildreth,
Steve Perlman, Courtney Mller, John DiGiacomo
- Financial Update - $4500 in bank; $1500 to Chamber; $540 to Upstate Vinyl. Burdette will try to figure out a budget for us.
- Membership Update
- Cape Air Ad (6 members each agreed to pay $250)
- Bluseed $250 12/8/11
- Train Brook Forge $100 12/8/11
- Diane Leifheit $150 12/8/11
- Sandra Hildreth $250 12/8/11
- Pendragon $250 1/17/12
- Mark Kurtz $250 1/17/12
- Diane Leifheit $100 2/3/12
TOTAL PD. $1350 AD: $1500
- 2011 Plein Air Festival
Income- 2011 Studio Tour
- registration fees $795Expenses
- silent auction $2052*
- Show & Sale $5180*
- Prizes - money that came in was given back out as prizes
Total Income: $8027
- paid out to artists (Show & Sale) $5224.50
- HSL prize (out of Silent Auction) $200
- Misc expenses $661.31
- Donation to HSL (Silent Auction) $1800
Total Expenses $7885.81
*Checks received as payment for artwork were lost; some purchasers were tracked down and agreed to send replacement checks but not all could be reached.
- NYSCA DEC Grant $2000Expenses:
- Artist Registrations (from AAG) $1500
- late Artists Registrations $300
- Sponsors $950
Total Income: $4750
(for details see final report submitted for grant)
21 professional members; 6 new ones; 15 not renewed
- see info page on our web site; encourage friends to renew
- time to revisit mission?
3 supporting members; 1 new; 6 not renewed
- Todd Smith: not-for-profit status for ArtWorks
Adk Sustainable Communities; 31/2 - 6% fee for handing $$; we would partner with them; John & Todd met
- 501(c)(3) status would be granted as a result of partnership
- benefits: tax exempt status; insurance coverage; applying for grants and manage funds; accountability - ASC monitors funds/budget
- how much work involved - under ASC, we still operate as before but report finances on a quarterly basis
- do we need to redefine our mission statement? expand? probably should look at it again to make sure it fits
- what’s involved? form by-laws; articles of incorporation; board of directors; elected officers
- do we need paid ex position - no
- would our current initiatives be allowed? yes, i.e., taxes on sales
- what’s required? how long to be a stand alone nfp - 1-3 years; $$ $1000+
- ASC, nfp since 04; a working board with no overhead; pays for officer’s insurance; current status with IRS - in good standing? Healthy? YES
- ASC has legal and tax representation on retainer
- ArtWorks rep needs to attend ASC meetings
- Artworks rep would be covered by ASC insurance
- liability insurance - every event ArtWorks does would be covered by ASC
- ASC’s other projects: Common Ground Garden, Green Circle & Atlas Cultural Foundation ....
- restricted reserve - any funds that come in - they take percentage out and then give it back to be used
- outcomes of past projects - Wilmington Waterfront Revitalization Project - done; Altai Assistance Project; Energy Smart Park - evolved into another nfp that is a subsidiary of the Wild Center
- if we do it - go under nfp status - what do we do? It’s a temporary thing - we can get nfp status for awhile and then we have to decide if we want to do it ourselves
- need to revisit mission, formation of board, officers
- NEA grant - nfp status needed ASAP
- we need to discuss (email info out) and decide prior to Feb 17 - ASC could vote on us then - make decision on 2/15; Todd will draft email
NOTE: due to short time period and some questions that came up, the decision to partner with ASC on Feb 17 was postponed.
- Cherie Sayles: artist involvement in Daffest
Do plein air for Daffest (and photography) - email ArtWorks logo for poster or Guild; Memory Walk dedication April 27 - collect pictures; put up a display; like life-size portraits that would line the RiverWalk - just up for the 3 weeks of Daffest. Cherie willing to donate $1000 towards costs.
- Todd - nice if artists got paid; what if families paid up front (i.e. family commissions a real portrait which gets duplicated on vinyl, or screen, etc. for display)
- Mark - should it be postponed to next year and build in some kind of payment for artists?
- festivals solicit artists to design posters; winner gets prize and profits from sale
- Todd willing to put together a little report about how other organizations work with artists
- plein air - plan an exhibit on the last weekend; Cris - get it up by Thurs. in advance of Mother’s Day; Sandy & Diane
- Todd - Jeremy brought up the use of vacant storefronts
- Mark - perhaps reconnect with First Night about developing something for them; Todd will write email
- update on NEA "Our Town" grant
Todd, Mark, Sandy, Tim & Diane have been very involved with it but as of the posting of these minutes, we were not able to get a cohesive proposal done nor get matching fund support from the Village and have decided NOT to submit an application (March 1 deadline) but will start working on one for next year.
- 2012 Studio Tour
-Diane: needs a PR person; working on budget; working on a timeline; proofreader; sponsor seekers; $2000 grant funded
- Entry raised to $65; more sponsors; try to keep costs down; someone in charge of signage - needs volunteers; registration forms will be available on March 9 at Guild; benefits - year round web presence; booklet; policy - all payments to be received through the mail to ArtWorks PO Box 1274 - not through Guild.
- 2012 Plein Air Festival
- info on web site, starting to get inquiries, Sandy is doing some ads and will pay for them herself and request reimbursement later from the proceeds of the event.
- other events
- advertising/marketing ideas - table and be prepared at next meeting
- Winter Carnival Parade party on the balcony? all invited
Dan - looking into events in Albany & seeking other artists to come too & share costs; exhibit work; contact him if interested
NEXT MEETING: MARCH 13 8 AM Artists Guild
Present: Mark Kurtz, Burdette Parks, John DiGiacomo, Peter Seward, Todd Smith, Susan Olsen
Advertising - visitors guide graphic/text due soon - ad committee should work this out soon - Matt P, Sandy, John, Todd?
Susan will send email reminder
Membership - get forms in soon - higher fee as of Jan 15
Bylaws- we need to draft some. Previously, Todd, Tim, and Susan had volunteered to work on this - rules for officers, partnership with village, 501(c)3? Needs to be worked out. They should get together.
Ways to encourage membership involvement: At meetings - have calendar of art events for people to sign up & help with- master calendar of art works events
Have a “Wish List”: these are more events we'd like to add - can one person or three people take one of these events? Identify what the group wants to accept responsibility for?
St Luke’s Church would like to be more involved with the Arts community – has offered the use of its parish hall for displays or activities – Susan will invite them to join the Art Walk as a venue – extend the walk farther up Main St, help more people to get involved
Todd - put together draft for 501(c)3 – join with Adk Sustainable Communities and the village - looking to create arts & culture center - make a place around depot open all year
Grant partnership being developed - Naj with CHC and Adk Scenic Railroad and the Village
Not for profit - is there anyone other than Todd to work on it? John offered to help
Burdette will send out a financial report before Feb mtg
Studio tour - need to rework financial transactions - Burdette will have suggestions -use Paypal? Easy to track
Should we get a PO Box? Good idea - need a place for a stable address - DONE: PO BOX 1274
Art under $100 - we don't know how it went - 7444 rep was pleased with it - good chance to engage
ACNA undergoing changes - has office space in SL - may relate to AW one way or another - more to follow
NEXT MEETING: TUES. FEB 7, 7 PM, ARTISTS GUILD